Friday, June 1, 2012

Magical May

I rarely take a look back after a month and say "whoa."  Usually, reflection occurs after 6 months, a year, etc. but occasionally, a few months every year stick out.  May was one of those "holy crap" months that has so many amazing things included.  Now that it's over, and as I sit with my planner, I am still in awe of some of the things that went on.  Lots of positives.  A few monumental moments.  Here are just a few of the biggies that I'll remember for a long, long time.

I ran my first half marathon

First off, I apologize for how I blew up everyone's facebook with updates.  But it really was an incredible experience for me.  When I look back at that day, I remember so many little moments - how I was feeling, what people were doing, the hills, the scenery, the nerves, the expo, the water, the pain, the anguish, and the joy.  But when I take a step back, LOVE is the word that sticks out the most.  I received an overwhelming amount of support, and some of the most amazing people came to surprise me and cheer me on during my big day.  They say you always remember your first races of each distance, and now I'm starting to get why.  It really was a life changing day.

Now, less than a month later, I have already signed up for #2 and
am eyeing opportunities for more.  And the "m" word keeps following me.  This coming from a person who never thought, expected, or believed he could ever do something like this.























I finished my first year as a professional in my field


There was a lot of frustration and stress down the stretch closing out the academic year, but there was also a lot of pride, accomplishment, and sheer bliss.  As the students left for the year, a lot of emotions were going through my head.  First, I am always blown away when I think about the path my life has taken - wrapping up grad school and moving from Florida to Denver, as well as finding a joy in the work that I do.  This year was a huge learning experience filled with several ups and downs, and although there is still a low of learning and growing left to do, I have gained many things through my experience at JWU.  I am really looking forward to seeing what year #2 has in store.

I got to show my mom my life here


My mom got to visit CO for the first time since I moved here in July.  Even though it wasn't really a social visit (she was in town for a workshop in Boulder), it was still great seeing her and showing her what I love about Colorado.  Which also included meeting my girlfriend, which was really fun.  Speaking of which, her mom came to visit the week before mine did, so May turned out to be meet-the-moms month (gasp!).  She definitely passed, and I hope I did too!  But seeing my mom really was great, and I can't wait until the whole family comes at the end of June.

I got a visit from a best friend


The Chocolate Thunder to my White Lightning came to visit, and it was a great few days!  It is unbelievable how far we've come since graduating from grad school a year ago, and being able to catch up and share some of this new chapter together.  And I can't wait to see where the next 90 years of friendship we're committed to take us.


I found a church I am happy with


For those of you who know this side of me, this is a HUGE statement...  I've only been to this church a few times, but there is something about it that feels so... right.  I'm still not entirely sure exactly what my beliefs are, but I have been spending a lot of time searching several different venues to see what sticks.  There are a lot of questions, but I'm glad I've found things that make me question, stretch me, and push me down a path that is helping me sort a few things out.

In general...


May had so many great moments with so many great people, old and new to my life.  So many challenges, so many opportunities, and so many firsts.  Like Bikram Yoga.  Yes, you read that right.  I've seen some friends accomplish some great things, and had so many memories that I will cherish for a long time.  From the little to the big, the mundane to the monumental, so much of May will be carried with me.











As I look back, I am filled with so much happiness.

As I look forward, I am filled with so much hope.

Here's to June, and the amazing things that lie ahead.

2 comments:

  1. So great, Jeff! I love watching your journey continue and I can't wait to hang out again when I come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear so much happy in this!! :) and I love it.

    And regarding the "m" word... feb. 2013. California. Do it
    :)

    ReplyDelete