Sunday, October 16, 2011
This morning, I ran the Run the Rocks 5K at the world famous Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, CO.
Or, as is shall be called from now on: The Ouch Run, or the more daring Coloradans are Crazy Dash.
For the first two miles, I was thinking this was going to be my favorite race. It looped around the parking lot, and shot down the road. Nothing but winding mountain road straight downhill. As I was running down the hill at a ridiculous pace, all I could think about is how I wanted to be on a bike so I could be flying down the hill. One of those hills.
Train of thought: I am dominating this race! I am going to dominate my PR. This. Is. Awesome!
Down. Down. Down. Down.
As I kept going downhill, passing the amphitheater, dropping far below the elevation of the finish line, I had this epiphany of impending doom. I have to go up. Shit.
The last mile & a quarter was brutal. BRUTAL. 98% of the people around me had to stop and walk up this beast for a good portion of time. The other 2% wanted to. I was one of them. That amazing downhill turned into this wretched, soul crushing uphill.
Up. Up. Up.
To top it off, Red Rocks has what I have deemed "The Staircase of Death." So after killing yourself on the back half of the 5K, the finish line was at the top of the S.O.D. Ugghhh...
I honestly haven't had my butt kicked that hard since high school football workouts.
This race made me realize 2 things:
-I need to really get into trail running if I am going to be racing in Colorado.
-I am going to HURT tomorrow.
Time: Not so good.
What a beautiful morning in Colorado!
Monday, October 10, 2011
An unforgettable weekend getaway.
Friends. Fall. Mountains. Mormons. Football. Face Paint. Choir. Colleges. Dinosaurs.
Laughter. Lots and lots of laughter.
5. Reconnecting with friends - That's what this trip was all about - friends I haven't seen in a long time, even years... and spending time with people I love.
4. Fall drive through the mountains - There are few things more beautiful than driving through snow-capped mountain roads as the leaves are changing.
3. Acting like a 4 year old at Thanksgiving Point - Face painting, photo booths, digging for fossils, making magic wands, 3D movies, and exploring the museum. Side note: If a girl dressed in a cat costume tells you that something is "legit," do not trust her. It will end up being a creepy wizard doing lame magic tricks that even 4 year olds called out that they were fake. Lesson learned.
2. BYU football game w/ Team Voyles - So much laughter. In case you're curious, if you start an amazing rendition of "If you're a Cougar and know know it, clap your hands," only one person will clap.
1. Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Dream come true. You NEED to go see them perform before you die. Leave now.