Saturday, August 31, 2013

Blue Moon 5K

On Friday, I got to run my first ever trail race.

On the way to Denver to spend the weekend with Kristen and her parents, I made a pit stop in Colorado Springs for the 2nd annual Blue Moon 5K.

After a 3+ hour drive, I made it to the park with about a half hour to spare.  I waited in line to get my bib, but they were out of safety pins.  So lucky me got to carry it for the whole race.  At the last minute, I decided to grab my phone so I had music for the race.  Good call!

Everyone made their way to the start lines.  Not much of a warning or countdown, but we were off!

We rounded the corner of the park and headed into Ute Valley Park, a beautiful park with some great trails.  The trail shot up into a quarter mile incline that was tough.  By the time I reached the top, my chest was pounding.  I used the rest of the mile basically to catch my breath as I was winding through the forest.

Then, it got incredible.  Once I caught my breath, it became one of the best races I have ever done.  I loved the inclines hopping over branches and rocks.  I loved the downhills feeling my momentum pulling me down.  The weaving in and around paths, the dirt, the rocks, the trees... it was all amazing.

I think I'm hooked on trail races!

Official Time:  32:42





No comments:

Post a Comment