Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Day 5K

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you're a runner, you must do a turkey trot.  It's apparently a rule.  Thanksgiving day races are some of the most popular races in any area for runners and non-runners alike.  In fact, the Turkey Trot in Buffalo, NY is the longest running continuous road race in the country, first welcoming galloping gobblers in 1896.

To kick of my Gobblefest, I chose to do the Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K.  I knew a couple people doing it, who I ended up not seeing due to the crowds of people, and it was on the end of town I would be spending my day.

I got there later than I had hoped, so there was a little scramble to get my chip and bib in time for the start.  Because of this, I got stuck behind a lot of the people with strollers, people with kids, and people with dogs.  That's all I need to explain for people who run races frequently.

The first quarter mile was spend weaving through people on the flat path, but then the course turned into the surrounding neighborhood streets.  And went up.  And up.  The first two miles of the race were uphill winding though the suburban neighborhood.  It was tough.

Then, once we hit the 2 mile mark, we went onto a paved trail that went down through a ravine to the finish line.

Nothing overly special or impressive about this run.  I learned to never eat BDubs the night before a race (I thought I was going to throw up for a little bit after the race).

But no matter what, there's not a whole lot of things I would rather be doing on a Thanksgiving morning.

Chip Time:  30:43


No comments:

Post a Comment