Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Distance You Traveled

Week 4 of half marathon training.

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.” - Steve Prefontaine

The more I run, the more I realize that I am not doing this for 13.1 - that's a small part of it. I am looking forward to seeing if I can accomplish it. But more than that, I realize that with every mile and every run I am stepping closer to where I want to be in my life. To the weight I want to be. To the goals I have. Seeing where I will be from where I've started - from a health, confidence, goal setting, and motivational standpoint - no matter what it will be a success. It's not about a single race. It's about the journey that I have been on and where it will take me.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday -3 Miles
2.64 - 25:41 - 9:43 pace
This is the latest I've gone out on a run s
ince I started training. It was a busy day, and I was on my way home from a DetermiNation info meeting and I knew I still had to get out. I started getting a stomach ache since my eating has been a little off the last couple days and I had not had dinner yet and it was pushing 8:30. So I got home, laced up the shoes, and took off. It felt amazing! I honestly feltlike I was gliding across the pavement. Although I'm sure it wasn't as graceful as I imagined...

Whatever the guy version of this is, welcome to my life.

Wednesday - 4 Miles Pace
4.00 miles - 38:06 - 9:31 pace
Probably my best overall run of training thus far. First run with iPhone - used Nike+ - found out fastest was just before 1 mile, slowest was about 1.75, then picked it back up. I think I backed off a bit when I saw my 9:14 mile 1. Not sure how I feel about running with the iPhone - has its pros and cons. Biggest pro was being able to see where I was at and my pacing so I could adjust on the fly. Biggest con was over-checking... seemed to take away some of the joy of the run - but I think this will be perfect for the days like today when I am supposed to push the pace a bit. And I just realized that I beat last Wed's 4 miler by over a minute and a half.

Thursday - 3 Miles
3.11 miles - 29:58 - 9:38 pace
I was a little nervous that I wasn't going to get this one in tonight, but I managed to squeeze it in. Was across town so I had the pleasure of trying out a new path - it was a lot more hilly than I am used to. Had a 9:52 pace at the halfway point so I was glad I could pick it up a bit in the 2nd half. I'm noticing a couple things - The 3rd day in a row is always tough - I'm usually still sore, but it feels great leading up to a rest day. I am floored by the progress week to week. Times get a little faster and the runs get a little bit easier. This is making me very optimistic - hopefully this trend keeps up.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Cross
Skiing, Volleyball
I am aware that today is going to kill my legs for tomorrow, but it is worth it! Such a gorgeous day out, so I decided to hit the slopes at Breckenridge. After a handful of great runs and conquering a couple of my first Colorado black diamonds I came back and played a few hours of volleyball. It felt amazing getting out with our group of friends, laughing, joking around, and getting some quality games in. Is it summer yet??



















Sunday - 7 Miles
7.11 miles - 1:13:12 - 10:17 pace
This was the farthest I have ever ran in my life - I have done a couple 10Ks, but now as I move forward with my training, I am reaching uncharted territory - and that's exciting! It's tough not to think about the 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 mile training runs I'll have to do before my half marathon, but for now, I am just going to be excited about this 7. I was SUPER sore from yesterday and now I'm even worse, but it's done! And went fairly well too. The first 2 miles were mostly trying to get into a rhythm because of the soreness and morning running adjustment. Then, I had a solid few miles. But around mile 5.5 I started to crash. Not only was this a long run, but it was getting warmer, but most of all, my route was uphill for the entire second half of the run. Note to self: make the second half easier! But I didn't rest, I didn't stop, and 7 miles is in the books. Although I am now only 1/3 of the way done with my training program, I am over 1/2 way there distance-wise. I am super excited about this past week, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the next few go. No turning back now... only forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment