Monday, January 3, 2011

A Moment

This is something I've heard a few times over the past few years:

"You should start a blog."

"Why? I don't have a baby..."
"(Insert some other smartass comment here)"

"I want to know what you're up to"
"You do some cool stuff. People would love to see it"

"I'm not that interesting"
"Nobody would read it."


Ever since I started this, I have been apprehensive. Who would read this? Does anything I do really matter?

Last night, I had one of those moments that helped provide some clarity.

Rewind to Dec. 10th when this message came to me online from one of my friends:

i dont have a lot of time to talk, or to explain it, but i want you to know that you´ve helped me a lot in the last week. (even though you probably didnt even notice) i love you and am glad that after over 10 years that we are still friends.

This message came from one of the best friends I have ever had. I've known her since middle school, and she's always been such a big part of my life. Unfortunately, I don't get to see her very much because she moved away. Then I moved away. So every year or two, we usually get to see each other.

Twice, while home on break, I saw her.

And I asked her about it.

She just spent the past few month in Peru having the most amazing experiences you can imagine. But as she was getting closer to coming back, things were a little off. A recent breakup, readjusting to what life would be back home, going back to school full time, minor apartment dilemma... things were a little out of whack. She told me that reading my blog was the perfect thing for her. There were so many doubts, so many questions, and as she read, it struck something in her. It reminded her that she is not stuck in any situation- there is so much out there. It reminded her to never settle and to always keep looking for amazing opportunities. She told me she was proud of me for all of the things that I have accomplished. She told me that it inspired her to stay motivated so she can accomplish the things she wants in her life.

(Side note- I am horrible at receiving compliments, recognition, praise, etc. so although this was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever shared with a friend, it was torture!)

I was in shock.

I told her (and I've told her before) that she is one of the most amazing people I have ever met, and that her ability to move away, start over, her sense of adventure, and her love for living life is one of the things that has always inspired me.

A truly touching moment between two people who make each other jealous because of all the amazing experience and opportunities we've had.




I had no idea that me writing down random things could have any impact, but I'm glad it did.

That conversation inspired and motivated me even more.

So this is my promise. For me, for her, for everyone that stumbles across my site. I will continue to look for experiences and opportunities that will help me grow. I will keep challenging myself to accomplish my dreams, reach my goals, and live MY life. I will not stop living life to the fullest. I will make the most of this thing called life.


More importantly, I hope you'll promise to do the same.


And to my friend that I shared this moment with:
You should start a blog, and I love you



No comments:

Post a Comment