Monday, December 20, 2010

Always a groomsman, never a bride...





On Dec 18th a good friend of mine got married.

Rewind to December 8th, when he asked me to be a groomsman. Whoa

I don't want to bore anyone with the details or the day's events, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts from the day.

(thanks to some facebook stalking, I was able to find some pictures)

Groomsmen through my sunglasses.

I was honored to be able to go to the wedding. We mentioned it several times that weekend, but we've known each other for almost a decade now. And he's one of those people that I rarely see (every 1-3 years or so since high school has ended), but every time I do, it's like nothing has ever changed. And we've actually been able to get closer these last few years because his family moved to FL shortly after high school. So it's been great to reconnect with him and his entire family. I was excited when Mama V told me "you boys better keep in touch." I know I will- partially because his mom scares me a bit, but mostly because James has always been like a brother.


It was so much fun being a part (albeit a small one) of the wedding. This is the first time I've been in a wedding, and it was a blast! From hanging out with the friends and family, to being in the middle of the craziness, to the pictures, to picking up flowers the morning of the wedding in the rain, it was an adventure. There are so many moments that I will remember for a long time.


For me, one of my favorite things of the entire wedding weekend was being with James' family. (It still blows my mind to see how much his sisters have grown up since we were in high school, even though I've seen them a few times over the past 2 years...) James' family is the type of family that will wrestle around, constantly rip on each other and push each others' buttons, but then the next minute would be cuddled up on the couch watching movies together. Anyone would do anything for each other. When I envision the perfect family, and the type of family I hope to have in the future, theirs is pretty close to the top of the list of what I hope to have. Not even with just their own family. They will share the same amount of love with anyone, which has included me in a few cases. On a trip to check out USF before I even applied to grad schools, his family took me in, gave me a place to stay, took me to Universal, and made sure I had a great weekend (that having been the first time I saw his family in 5+ years). And when I was 1,500 miles away from my family for Thanksgiving last year, they made sure that I would not spend the day alone. If everyone had as much love as their entire family does, this world would be a much better place.


To James and Ashley,

Thank you for letting me be a part of your wedding, and I am excited to continue to be a part of the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment