Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#7 - Dive Into a Swimming Pool

Last night we had a pool party during RA training.  I had no intentions for this to be the night... until I opened my big mouth.

Rewind to when I was a kid - I took swimming lessons in the neighborhood, and I always passed with flying colors.  Except for the diving.  I always failed.  I never learned right.  It always hurt.  It always scared me.  Year after year, I would try to dive... but I got more and more scared.

That eventually turned into a phobia.  As I grew older, the fear grew with it.  Instead of trying and failing like I did as a kid, I just stopped trying.  I'd think about it and start getting nervous.  I just couldn't do it.  The last time I dove into a pool was when my age was a single digit.

Back to last night.  Sitting in the hot tub, watching some people dive, I started asking a few people about how to dive.  What do I do with my hands?  What do I do with my head?  How do I not bellyflop?  I started getting nervous.  Not tonight.

Let's get it over with.  I kept thinking I could do it.  I could cross it off tonight.  They suggested I start on the edge of the pool, then work my way to the blocks, then work my way to the diving board.  I crept to the edge of the pool and stared at the water.  I couldn't breathe.  No way I was diving off the side of the pool.  It was going to be one shot.  All or nothing.  So I decided it was time.  And I was going straight for the diving board.

I crept to the edge and looked down.  I can do this.  That's when everyone in the pool took notice and started chanting my name.  My heart started pounding.  "YOU'RE NOT HELPING!" I yelled.  I took a few deep breaths.  Now or never.  After a couple of seconds of strategizing... I went for it.


I rose from the water and I couldn't stop shaking... but I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment