Sunday, April 8, 2012

Every Additional Step

Week 8 of half marathon training.

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
- John Wooden

"All great masters are chiefly distinguished by the power of adding a second, a third, and perhaps a fourth step in a continuous line. Many a man has taken the first step. With every additional step you enhance immensely the value of your first."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am reaching a low point in my training. The times keep getting faster and distances longer. But more and more I am feeling the motivation crumble. I do not want to get out the door and go for a run. I want to eat whatever I want. This 8 week stretch of constant pressure is getting to me. Pressure to run more... faster... farther... it's starting to wear me down. Some days I feel really motivated (they usually end up being my rest days), while some I just want to take the easy way out. I can tell that these next couple weeks are going to be tough to get through. But all I need to do it get through. Persevere.

I read the quotes about and realize that I haven't done anything special yet. If I don't see this through, it's all for naught. If you're reading this, don't let me fail. Don't let me stop. Don't let me make excuses. For just under two months I've been busting my butt, so I can't let myself trip at the finish line. I'll need some love through this last month. bring it on!

What do you do when the finish line seems too far out of reach? How do you persevere?

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 3 Miles
3.11 miles - 27:55 - 8:58 pace
A cold and snowy April day. I got done with work and didn't even want to do this run, but I knew I had to. I put on some athletic pants, my running jacket, headband, and iphone and set out. I was just looking forward to getting it done. The first mile felt like any other first mile, and then my Nike+ told me it was under 9:00. So I kept pushing it a little, hit my halfway turnaround and headed back. Mile 2. Still under 9:00 pace. At about 2.5 I started getting tired from pushing it. Final stretch was rough. When all was said and done, this became my first run of 3+ miles under a 9:00 pace. Ever.

Wednesday - 5 Pace
0 miles
I didn't miss a run in the first 6 weeks of training. Now it's 2 weeks in a row where I missed Wednesday. Not happy about it. I can feel the motivation starting to slip.

Thursday - 3 Miles
3.33 miles - 31:55 - 9:35 pace
Nothing like a 10PM run. The night just kind of got away from me and I had to get out. HAD TO. So I did. I have been eating like crap the last couple days, so this was a pretty good "cleansing run." I actually felt like I was gliding for the first mile - it felt really good... but then as usual tanked a little at the end. At least I made it out the door.

Friday - Rest 

ONE MONTH TO GO!

Saturday - 10K Race
5.25 miles - 53:14 - 10:08 pace
I was definitely not feeling this run... in the first mile, I knew it was going to be pretty rough.  But I just kept trekking along.  3 miles into it when I was at City Park, I saw a lot of people - as I got closer, I realized they were doing a Easter 5K.  If it would have worked out, I totally would have crashed it!  But they were just finishing up. Oh, what could have been... So I just kept going.  I had to stop and take a quick breather at 4.5, then at 5.25 I was just done.  Not sure what's been up with me recently, but I've had so many ups and downs.  Let's hope for some more ups over the last 4 weeks.

Sunday - Cross
Rest 
After 2 Easter services including sunrise, I was wiped.  Watched a little Masters (amazing), read a little, slept a little, lazed the day away.

No comments:

Post a Comment